A few times this week I have been bothered by people’s comments about professors with accents and how awful it is to have to listen to them. While I understand that sometimes there are TFs that you really simply cannot understand, what bothered me the most was these particular professors, while they did indeed have accents, spoke fluid English that was for the most part very correct. The height of my frustration came when in a class, the professor, who is French but speaks excellent English with a light French accent, switched off with the (American) TF and someone beside me said, “Thank God, someone who can actually speak English.” Excuse me? Can you speak a second language the way he speaks English? Is this, as I feel, yet another case of American hegemonistic intolerance or am I being too sensitive?
- 32,715 hits
Kevin Obermier on Trans Feminism and My Vagina:… One Year Later, A Di… on Trans Feminism and My Vagina:… rizoriels on On Cuddling, Queer Presentatio… A Word About de Blog… on Trans Feminism and My Vagina:… NG2000 on the freedom to choose health:…
- Even If You Don’t Ask, I Will Tell: the Military, Activism and Queer Families
- Protesting the National Erection: Another Morsel For Your Weekend.
- On Cuddling, Queer Presentation, Elitist Institutions, and The Lesbian, Capitalist Board Game: Random Reflections on a Week.
- (Pre-)Friday Frivolity: Camp and Contraception
- Friday Frivolity: Tactical Brilliance